Best apple cake of the whole wide world
Yes, in my humble and insignificant opinion, this is the best apple cake ever.
Curiously, I can count on the fingers of one hand the times I baked it. Not that it is a complicated recipe, or time consuming – in fact, it is as easy as 1,2,3.
I started to think why I don’t make it more often, and here’s the conclusion: it is so good, but so good, I keep it only for people I really care about. One can’t wear out a special thing like that, right?
I’m not gonna be here saying names 😉 , you know who you are and what you’ve done. This post is for you, deservers of the very best apple cake in the whole wide world.
Apple Spice Cake (from here)
This cake is very moist and tender, and the cinnamon scent will take over your kitchen when it’s in the oven.
The top, best part, gets this delicious and melt-in-your-mouth and beautiful and crumbly texture. I’ve made it with and without the nuts suggested in the recipe, and it gets extra special with walnuts. I even used pears instead of the apples, and it was delicious as usual.
The little ones I’ve given to my dear friend were baked in disposable paper loaf liners, over a baking sheet.
- 1 1/3 cups vegetable oil (I use canola oil)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 3 to 4 Granny Smith apples, cored and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (3 cups) (I always use 3 apples, gala or fuji)
- 1 cup chopped assorted nuts, such as pecans and walnuts (optional)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (never use)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 12-cup Bundt pan with cooking spray; set aside (I don’t have a bunt pan, so I use a large angel food cake pan, or even a 25cm round pan. If I have left over batter, I make some muffins 🙂 ).
- Working over a large sheet of parchment paper, sift together flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt; gather sifted ingredients into center of sheet; set aside. (I sift everything in a large bowl)
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine vegetable oil, sugar, and eggs; mix on high speed until lemon yellow.
- Fold reserved parchment in half lengthwise; with mixer on medium speed, gradually shake in dry ingredients until just incorporated.
- Add apples and, if desired, nuts, to batter; mix to combine. Add vanilla, mixing until incorporated.
- Pour batter into prepared pan, and bake until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 75 to 90 minutes.
- Remove from oven, and cool slightly on a wire rack.
- Invert cake onto rack; turn cake right-side up to cool completely on rack